Escaping the world to online gaming.




















Online Gaming.

For me, online gaming has been a huge part of my life. In the early days I was looked down upon and made fun of for enjoying playing online with my friends or by myself. I was dejected from social groups and teased constantly at school.

I despised the fact that I enjoyed playing video games but at the same time I loved doing it and never wanted to give it up. Around the age of 13-14 I had had enough and wanted to hide from everyone that I still played old games that were not meant for my age but had provided me with endless amounts of joy. I felt embarrassed and tried to separate my daily life from my gaming. I wanted to fit in but at the same time I wanted to game. I quickly became angry and agitated at anyone who tried to mix my daily life with my gaming life. To some degree I felt like I was living a double life.

Looking back at things now, gaming has probably been a burden in my life and crippled my potential. Instead of filling my time doing what everyone would consider normal things like going outside and partying and making social groups I would much rather stay at home and play some video games. Sure I did my fair share of partying as well and enjoyed it, however the amount of times I had the potential to do something, anything, else and chose not to severely out-weighs the times I did. During my schooling career I frequently put gaming first and put my studies second.

One thing that lead me to spend so much time in video games was their ability to escape the real world. This was because my my family life at home was far from perfect. Constant arguments from my parents which inevitable spilled out onto myself and my siblings caused me at times to see video games as my only true support. When I was feeling down, video games would cheer me back up and make me forget about all the yelling and mental abuse I was subject to by my parents.

Despite what mainstream media would have you believe, I think that video games has truly brought together people that no other platform will ever do. Internationally people collaborate and connect with one another for their passion and desire to play video games. I am really happy to see that online gaming and e-sports have taken off and become what they have become today, a place where everyone men and women can enjoy themselves and play some video games together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who and Why.

The Daily Struggle of the Fear of Failure.